SOCIO-ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT PLAN FOR THE 2011-2015 PERIOD
In formulating and implementing of the five-year 2011-2015 socio-economic development plan, Viet Nam has enjoyed such elemental advantages as the achievements it had recorded during the past 25 years of pursuing Doi Moi (renovation) as well as from the implementation of the 10-year socio-economic development strategy and the five-year 2006-2010 plan. Though coping with the same difficulties and unpredictable, complicated movements in the world as other countries did, socio-political stability has enabled the country to bring into full play potentials and advantages of its agriculture and farm product export during the course of industrialization and make it easier to attract foreign investment and develop domestic market in a fast manner. Forecast for 2012 and the following years have warned that the increasing public debt crisis and inflation in many countries would not only slow down global economic recovery but potentially drag global economy in a new recession. Therefore, the implementation of the five-year plan should closely follow the objectives, targets, tasks, and solutions as determined in the 11th National Congress of the Communist Party of Viet Nam; leadership and directions should be centralized in a more drastic manner with appropriate steps being taken to create a strength that can help realize the overall objectives, targets, three breakthroughs and 12 orientations of the socio-economic development strategy for the 2011 – 2020 period.
1. Overall objectives
Economy will be developed in a rapid, sustainable manner coupling with innovating growth model and restructuring the economy towards better quality and higher competitiveness efficiency. Social welfare and social security will be ensured while material and spiritual life of the people continue to be improved. Diplomatic activities will be enhanced to promote the efficiency of international integration. Independence, sovereignty, unification and territorial integrity will be firmly defended and political security and social order and safety be maintained, thus creating a foundation for the country to basically become a modernity-oriented industrial nation by 2020. During the first two or three years, the plan focuses on realizing the objectives of stabilizing the macro-economy, ensuring social security, achieving a proper growth rate and strongly expediting economic restructuring and growth model shifting. In the next two or three years, it aims for the basic accomplishment of the economic restructure to serve rapid and sustainable development and make growth, macro-economic stabilization and social security goals harmonize.
2. Main targets
a) Economic targets
Gross Domestic Product (GDP) averages approximately 6.5%-7% a year in the five-year time.
Social investment in 2011-2015 accounts for around 33.5%-35% of GDP.
Trade deficit was slashed since 2012 and will be maintained at below 10% of export turnover by 2015.
Budget overspending will be kept at below 4.5% of GDP in 2015 (including Government bonds).
Energy use and real GDP will be narrowed by 2.5%-3% a year.
The proportion of high-tech products will account for around 30% of total industrial production value and the rate of technological innovation will be 13% per year.
Social labor productivity by 2015 will be 29% -32% higher than that of 2010.
Collected tax and fee contributions to the State budget will not exceed 22% -23% of GDP a year.
Public debt by 2015 will not exceed 65% of GDP, Government debt will not surpass 50% of GDP, and national debt will not go beyond 50% of GDP.
The consumer price index will rise by 5% -7% by 2015.
b) Social targets
Eight million people will get jobs in five years.
Unemployment rate of urban people at the working age will stand below 4% by 2015.
The rate of trained laborers in the workforce will reach 55% by 2015.
People’s actual income by 2015 will see a 2-2.5 fold rise from 2010.
Poor households will be reduced in a fast and sustainable manner, by 2% a year on average and by 4% a year in poverty and extreme difficulties-striken districts and communes.
Housing floor space by 2015 will be 22sq.m per capita on average and it is 26sq.m per capita in urban areas on average.
Population will grow by 1 % by 2015.
By 2015, eight doctors will take care for over 10,000 people and 23 patient beds (excluding beds of commune health station) will be provided for 10,000 people.
c) Environmental targets
Forest coverage rate by 2015 will be around 42%-43%.
By 2015, 85 percent of heavily environment polluters will be handled.
3. Other targets
The Government is assigned to consider and decide on other economic, social and environmental targets and submit to the National Assembly an annual report on implementation results.
ORIENTATIONS ON TASKS AND SOLUTIONS FOR 2011-2015 SOCIO-ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
1. Focus on addressing rapidly and efficiently the shortcomings and weaknesses subjectively arisen during the leadership, direction, management and execution of branches and sectors that were mentioned in the Reports submitted by the Government, the People’s Supreme Court, and the People’s Supreme Procuracy and the examination reports prepared by the National Assembly’s organs.
2. Restructure the economy together with renovating growth model towards higher quality, efficiency and competitiveness, which will be implemented comprehensively in all sectors and every field nationwide and each locality, each local establishment and each key product, with a long-term vision and specific roadmap. Focus on restructuring the economy in three important fields: investment, especially public investment; financial market, especially commercial banking system and financial institutions; and enterprises, in particular economic groups and state-owned corporations, right from 2012, in a bid to prepare conditions to create strong, basic, vibrant, clear and efficient changes between 2013 and 2015.
Restructure public investment, firstly investment sourced from the State budget and Government bonds, by modifying the regulation on management decentralization but still maintaining the principle that investment will only go to projects that go through the required procedures and only when capital source, capital level and capital balancing capacity are clear. Urgently determine the criteria and priority order as the basis for approving or reducing investment projects. Tightly monitor decisions on approving the projects funded by the State budget through the national target programs, target programs, and target aids with capital source and capital balance being appraised by a competent authority at the central level. Ensure requirements on progress, technology, quality and safety of major national projects and works are met.
Restructure the financial market, focusing on commercial banking system and financial institutions, renovate and improve the effectiveness and efficiency of state management over the securities market, the real estate market, and the monetary market, especially the gold and foreign currency market, to prevent dollarization; closely monitor public debt as well as bad debts owed by state-owned enterprises, foreign loans, and foreign invested capital, especially investments in real estate and securities market, and sources of call loan.
Restructure economic groups and state-owned corporations and enhance business governance capacity, publicity and transparency while adopting policies to enable enterprises of various economic sectors to fully tap their internal strength, restructure, reduce production cost, and increase enterprises’ operation efficiency, production and competitiveness. Focus on developing state-owned enterprises in the key sectors and fields of significant importance to the national economy, mostly in economics and techniques relating to socio-economic infrastructure and public service to ensure macro-economic stabilization. Study and complete mechanisms and policies applicable to Vietnamese enterprises investing abroad. Distinguish clearly the tasks of ensuring social security and business lines of state-owned groups and corporations.
Restructure the sectors and fields, revise and adjust properly economic and industrial zones, along with implementing structure shifting and establishing regional economic connectivity. Rapidly develop the support industry and service sectors that generate added value. Increase investments in agricultural production and rural economy; and create a vibrant movement in building new style rural areas. Focus on consolidating the system of sea dykes, river dykes, pumping stations, salinity prevention works, flood-gates, natural disaster shelters, and storm shelters for ships and boats to mitigate natural disaster consequences. Continue to improve mechanisms and policies to renovate the operation of collective economy, farm-based economy, and craft villages towards achieving sustainable development. Strongly promote forestry-based economy in a bid to protect and develop forests at the same time in combination with reforming the management of farms and plantations. Maintain rice cultivation areas at 3.812 million ha while issuing specialized mechanisms and policies to support localities and rice growers to ensure national food security, especially in the context of climate change and sea level rise impacting the delta provinces, especially those in the Mekong River Delta. Realize orientations, policies and measures to ensure food security along with ecological environment protection and energy security, and control energy use needs efficiently. Exploit and use natural resources in a proper way.
3. Continue constraining inflation, stabilizing the macro-economy and stabilizing the purchase value of local currency. Implement the monetary policy holding on the prime goal of stabilizing the value of currency and take control measures to ensure increases in total payment means and credit balance, economic growth rate and consumer price index control are comparative. Gradually reduce the mobilization of investment capital from bank loans while accelerating the mobilization of capital from the securities market and other financial institutions.
For the fiscal policy, efficiently restructure budget collection and expenditure and renovate and enhance the quality of state budget estimate planning. Revise and adjust the decentralization of management over investment sourced from the State budget and government bonds. Study options to decrease step by step corporate income tax; renovate the policy to collect budgets from land and real estate, and increase natural resource tax.
For the policy on import, export and narrowing trade gap: During 2012-2013 continue to encourage exports and take proper measures in accordance with the World Trade Organization (WTO) regulations to control import and significantly narrow trade gap. Continue to invest in agricultural products and locally advantageous products and products that can substitute imported ones and rapidly develop the support industry, the mechanical engineering and manufacturing industry and the electronic industry. Apply the market-ruled pricing mechanism to electricity, coal and public services by 2013 at the latest. Issue regulations on the favor of locally-made goods, equipment and machinery in public expenditure and investment and efficiently implement the campaign “Vietnamese people prioritize using Vietnamese commodities”.
4. Focus on realizing three breakthroughs and 12 strategic orientations on socio-economic development designed for 2011-2020. Basically complete the building of a legal system along with renovating and improving the socialist-oriented market economy institutions, building the law-governed socialist State, spotlighting the amendment and supplementation of the 1992 Constitution, the amendment, supplementation or issuance of new laws under the eighth National Assembly’s law and ordinance-making program.
Continuously strengthen the Government’s apparatus and local governments at all levels and pilot an urban government model without any delay. Check and amend the regulations on decentralization between the central and local levels; simplify administrative procedures, especially those relating to the issuance of operation licenses, business registration and tax payment. Strongly restructure the laborforce, make the best use of a time when the country enters “golden population structure”, and promote new training and re-training of human resources to improve labor productivity in the whole economy. Launch and keep alive a movement to encourage thrift practice in both production and consumption, thus creating a common social awareness and a sense of exemplariness among the State office staff. Tighten social orders and rules, speed up the struggle against corruption, waste and losses, particularly in major construction projects using State investment capital. Continuously renovate social insurance policy and salary regime applied to civil servant staff, employees, retired people and contributors to national revolutions.
Check and evaluate traffic infrastructure development projects, particularly in key economic zones, giving them a priority in investment capital distributions to early put them into efficient use. Rapidly develop an urban transport system, especially public transport services. Step by step comprehensively develop and modernize infrastructure systems in big cities along with rearranging and re-structuring production and residential density; improve general service capacity of the three big seaports located at three regions.
5. Comprehensively execute policies and measures to spur economic development in regard to executing social advancement and justice; focus on ensuring social security, providing health care services for people, creating jobs, increasing income, eliminating hunger and reducing poverty and narrowing the gap between the rich and the poor; focus on addressing urgent matters lodged by people, particularly in land clearance, reclamation and compensation and negatives in the health, education and training sectors. Mobilize social resources for poverty reduction work; take solutions to improving the material and spiritual life of people, especially those living in remote, mountainous areas, islands, areas striken by extreme difficulties and ethnic minority-inhabited areas. Well execute the planning work to ensure secure residence for people in mountainous, ethnic minority and border areas and islands and balance residential and production land sources for residents in the areas regularly affected by natural calamities.
Make an overall examination of social security policies, focusing on consolidating and completing the social security network regarding the three aspects of employment security, social and health insurance policies and social protection policies. Develop a diverse social insurance system open to various subjects to use social and health insurance services.
Improve working conditions, decrease labor accidents, occupational diseases and labor disputes and build harmonious, stable and modern labor relations. Increase expenses for health care, focusing on supporting disadvantaged people to secure health insurance and increase support level for poor and near-poor households and those working in the agricultural, forestry, fishery and salt making sectors to afford health insurance. Pay due attention to preventive health to minimize people’s risks of contracting infectious diseases, malnutrition and chronic diseases. Consolidate and develop local healthcare and preventive health networks. Reorganize and improve healthcare services. Renovate comprehensively the policy on hospital fees and the mechanism on public health services.
6. Basically and overally renovate education and training, improve the quality of human resources and pay attention to leadership, management, business governance, science and technology and arts-culture; improve the quality of education, particularly tertiary level; focus on the quality rather than expansion of training, attaching importance to vocational training aimed at training 1 million rural laborers a year; adjust the policies on pre-school education and education in mountainous areas; socialize education for ensuring study demands of various people, particularly in pre-schoolers are met.
Strengthen and develop a healthy, rich and diverse cultural environment, enhance the operation efficiency of cultural institution systems at all levels, and improve, upgrade and invest in constructing some new, modern culture, art and sport facilities.
Continue to renovate the existing mechanisms and policies, mobilize various resources, pump more investment into scientific and technological activities, basically renew the scientific – technological management mechanism and develop knowledge-based economy. Give attention to strongly develop research, application and technological transfer, making science – technology part of production in all sectors and fields and spur the development of the science – technology market.
7. Improve and enhance the effectiveness and efficiency of policies and law on natural resources and environment protection to ensure sustainable development. Strictly follow the process of constructing, appraising, approving, testing and supervising the evaluation of environmental impacts to socio-economic development strategies, plans, policies, programs and projects. Resolutely handle the establishments that cause environmental pollution, especially those located in economic and industrial zones and craft villages. Encourage larger social involvement in protecting the environment.
8. The Government, the People’s Supreme Court and the People’s Supreme Procuracy will concentrate on building and implementing judicial reform-targeted projects, ensuring their quality and progress; well perform professional training and re-training for judicial staff, judges, jurors, investigators, prosecutors, bailiffs, and enforcement officers. From now to 2013, a lack of judicial officials is required to basically be eliminated. Judicial officials must be upright and truly exemplary. All violations committed by judicial officials must be promptly detected and dealt with severely. The State pays attention and offers specific policies to judicial officials and holders of judicial titles.
Increase investment in facilities, equipment, means and operation cost for the public security, procuracy, court and law enforcement forces.
Continue to complete legal regulations on organization and operation of judicial agencies, and criminal, civil, litigation and legal support laws, as well as anti-corruption, administrative violation sanction, anti-terrorism and criminal extradition laws.
Expand international cooperation and improve legal regulations to better expedite requirements for judicial assistance in civil and criminal cases and in preventing and fighting crimes.
Continue effectively implementing the National program on crime prevention and fighting and strictly deal with behaviors against on-duty public officers. Determinedly prevent and combat and strictly and efficiently deal with corruption and speed up the settlement of key corruption cases. Concurrently launch communication activities to mobilize and educate those living in the country’s seas and islands on law observance (check). Reinforce national defense and security strength, potential and position and ensure gradual modernization of material and technical facilities for the armed forces. Build strong provincial and municipal defensive areas. Build the people’s army and the people’s public security into revolutionary, regular, competent and modern forces with a reasonable quantity, comprehensive quality and high combat and develop strong reserve troops and militia nationwide. Proactively uncover and prevent any plot and act attempting to sabotage and instigate riots carried out by hostile forces and be prepared to respond to non-traditional security threats to maintain political and social stability and ensure national security and social order and safety; Focus investment on developing infrastructure in border areas in combination with arranging residential locations as planned. Facilitate socio-economic development with regard to fortifying national defense and security in key, important areas. Strengthen dissemination and education on national defense and security among people.
Proactively and enthusiatically integrate into the world community. Boost traditional, friendly relationship and strategic cooperation with border-sharing neighboring countries. Step up the settlement of the existing outstanding issues relating to border and territory, giving due, even attention to the East Sea issue based on the principle of peace, respecting international law and international and regional code of conduct. Promote the role and mobilize all resources from overseas Vietnamese for the country’s development.
ORGANIZATION OF IMPLEMENTATION
The Government, the People’s Supreme Court and the People’s Supreme Procuracy follow their assigned functions and duties to organize the implementation of National Assembly resolutions efficiently. They are to report the outcomes to the National Assembly annually.
The Standing Committee, Ethnic Council and other Committees of the National Assembly, the National Assembly Deputy Delegations and National Assembly deputies monitor the implementation of this resolution.
The Central Committee of the Vietnamese Fatherland Front and its members and social organizations established in line with legal regulations supervise and encourage people of all walks of life to fully implement the National Assembly Resolution.
The National Assembly calls upon compatriots and soldiers nationwide and overseas patriots to raise high the spirit of patriotism to unite in striving and seizing advantages and opportunities to overcome difficulties and challenges for successfully implementing the five-year 2011-2015 socio-economic development plan./.